Likewise, you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord."
As followers of Christ, our mission is to make disciples who make disciples of Jesus Christ (Matthew 28:18-20). As Jesus taught, disciples of Jesus are to be the light of the world and the salt of the earth (Matthew 5:13-14). The Apostle Paul speaks to the fact of walking worthy of our calling (Ephesians 4:1). The world we live in is filled with all sorts of temptations and pressures that lead us into sin and away from God. As Christians, we all face an enemy from without, whom the Bible identifies as Satan. But we also face an enemy within, which the Bible identifies as the "flesh." The flesh is the remnant of our old identity, our old man as the Bible says; that is who we were outside of Jesus before we became Christians. These enemies are constantly striving and aiming at making us ineffective witnesses for Jesus, wanting us to act independently of Him. These enemies are attempting to rob God of the glory due to Him.
So how do we overcome? First, we put on the armor of God so we can stand against the fiery darts of the wicked one (Ephesians 6:10-18). Secondly, we must learn to crucify the flesh with its passions and desires (Galatians 5:24). Paul speaks of fighting the good fight so here at CHBC, we speak of good battles. However, if we are to fight the good fight, then logically, there must be "bad" battles to avoid. How do I do that? What does this all mean?
At CHBC, we do not believe in "Lone Rangers." No one is meant to do life alone, so we have created Bible Fellowship groups to allow people to study the bible together, create fellowships together, and to help care for one another. We also have Reckon Squads designed to hold people accountable to living out the Christian life victoriously! All of us need to be living out of our true identity found in Christ Jesus.
What is a Reckon Squad?
A Reckon Squad is an accountability group of 3-5 individuals of the same gender who meet monthly to hold one another accountable to the things we are learning and discussing on Sunday mornings, in Bible Fellowship, and personally in our own quiet times. These accountability groups are times of encouragement, correction, and challenge designed to help us be doers of the word and not hearers only (James 1:22). This is a group of people who are open, honest, vulnerable, and they help us stay focused on our goals avoiding the obstacles that damage our witness and robs God of His glory. A Reckon Squad isn’t a bible study nor a Bible Fellowship group, it is a group of people who push us to live within our identity in Christ.
How Do I Start A Reckon Group?
- Choose 3-5 people of the same gender who are like-minded.
- Determine your place and time of meeting.
- Show up and commit to being open, honest, and vulnerable.
- Pick a leader who will communicate with the leadership of CHBC.
- Register your Reckon Squad.
What Does A Reckon Squad Do When We Meet?
Your Reckon Squad isn’t a time to just hang out and talk. After a time of prayer, your Squad leader will facilitate an accountability conversation using some suggested questions such as:
- What are the highs and lows of your month? What are you celebrating?
- As we consider what we are learning from sermons, Bible Fellowship, and our personal quiet times with Jesus; what is God speaking to you? What are you going to do about it? Is there a biblical principle you need to apply in your life?
- What is Holy Spirit teaching you? How is that impacting your life? Is there a biblical promise you need to claim?
- Are you serving in church? Giving? Worshiping? Who or what are you praying for?
- What action/attitude in your life needs to change?
- Who are you having a gospel conversation with? Who are you pouring into?
- How is your family? How is your spouse? Your kids? What is the spiritual temperature in your home?
- Have you looked at or done anything that would compromise your integrity? Are you struggling with sin?
- What if I don’t have an existing Reckon Squad, but I want to join? . If you are new or do not know of anyone not already in a squad, you can click the button below and choose the option "No, I need help finding a group." You can also call the church office at (865) 522-2422.
- How long/often do squads meet? Squads individually determine their day and time of meeting. We suggest using Sunday nights, but any day and time is acceptable. Most squads meet once a month and the time varies from 60-90 minutes. Again, the time is determined by the individual squads.
- What is the structure of a Reckon Squad? The suggested structure is to start with small talk and catching up. Then after a time of prayer, the squad leader starts the Reckon questions, which should begin the accountability discussion.
- Can I change my squad? Give it time! It takes time to develop trust, so we ask that you give your squad at least 6 months before making any changes.
- If I have questions, who do I contact? You can contact Pastor Mark or Pastor Chuck with any questions. You can call the church at (865) 522-2422 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also email the pastors individually.